Last week, an article was published by Business Insider with the attention-grabbing headline “The housing shortage is the root of all of America’s problems.” The author starts by acknowledging that the shortage of housing in the US is not only causing an affordability crisis but could also be contributing to several other major issues facing the country – a sentiment NAR has been screaming from the rooftops for quite some time.
According to the National Association of Realtors (NAR), this has been a key concern for the past few years. Their research shows that the housing shortage is affecting first-time homebuyers, minority homebuyers, and those from first-generation families the most. However, NAR is not just pointing out the problems but also advocating for solutions.
NAR has taken various actions to address this issue, including meeting with Administration leaders, testifying before Congress, and pushing for solutions at the federal, state, and local levels. They believe that making housing more affordable, accessible, and available is crucial in enabling the American Dream to be a reality for people of all backgrounds.
In light of that, NAR has been collaborating with local organizations to help make a change. Among the programs they helped spearhead are as follows:
- Diversity Grants help associations enhance diversity in their leadership and collaborate with local chapters of national multicultural real estate organizations. You can also bring the Leading with Diversity Workshop to your association to develop key initiatives for greater inclusion of diversity in your association’s leadership.
- The Actionable Roadmap for Local Association Diversity and Inclusion provides a step-by-step guide to engaging your full membership, including those potentially underrepresented, through activities and leadership.
- Fair Housing Grants provide funding for activities that uphold fair housing laws and strengthen REALTORS®’ commitment to offering equal professional service to all.
- Bias Override: Overcoming Barriers to Fair Housing is a NAR certificate course that helps members interrupt stereotypical thinking so they can avoid fair housing pitfalls and provide equal professional service. This three-hour classroom course can be taken in person or online and may qualify for CE credit in your state.
- The At Home With Diversity® certification program teaches REALTORS® how to work effectively with – and within – a rapidly changing multicultural market.
- Fairhaven is an innovative simulation that helps members identify, prevent, and address discriminatory practices in real estate.
- The L.E.A.D. (Learn. Elevate. Accelerate. Deliver.) Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Course helps members gain a solid understanding of DEI concepts and acquire the tools they need to serve effectively as a REALTOR®
To build diverse communities, we must commit to furthering diversity, equity, and inclusion. For more information on NAR’s efforts, please visit NAR.realtor/DEI.